Friday, 25 October 2013

introduction


How realistic are the representations of young people in Skins and Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents?

For my research investigation I am questioning if the representations shown on mainstream tv shows are entirely realistic, and how producers go about showing this. I am particularly looking at episode ?????????? in Skins and episode ????? of Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents. By applying hyperrealism and the cultivation theory and also looking into the uses of gratification I will identify why producers represent extremes of behaviour in young people as realistic and if anything they show as positive is completely applicable to teenagers of today.
My initial aim is to discuss how the producers represent the young people in these two shows. The genre may affect this because of the conventions, Skins as a drama may be seen as more dramatic and exaggerated whereas Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents should be portraying a true reality as a documentary.

I will initially explore the representations and stereotypes of young people in society today. I will find how the news, print based media and popular tv shows confirm or contradict of how young people really are. I will do primary analysis and secondary research to discover if the characters in these two texts conform to modern stereotypes.
My next aim is to discuss how the texts portray young people’s aspirations, which differ from educational to minimal or no aspirations at all. To do this I will analyse the characters morals in these texts, their conversations and characteristics towards each other and other people.
And finally I will look into how these representations can affect a passive audience. Representations and stereotypes are shown throughout the texts through the use of mise en scene, dialect and camera shots as well as construction and mediation of the text. For a passive audience this can influence them to believe the representations are completely realistic, and therefore start believing any stereotype the producers confirm or set out are entirely true. The target audience for these texts are young people of about 16-19 year olds and through watching these shows could begin to be influenced by their behaviour. I am going to discuss if this can make the representations in these texts realistic and true in society today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment